Sunday, November 15, 2015

photographer of the week (14)

Jennette Williams
Jennette Williams has a masters in photography from Yale and now teaches at the School of Visual Arts. She has won several awards for her work, been featured in many publications, and published 3 books of her own. One of which is titled, The Bathers in this book she photographs many nude women, of all different shapes and sizes. This is what she has to say about this book: "I wanted to honor the subjects that I was photographing, which were women who were very comfortable in their bodies, which I was not or had ever been. . . . The Bathers questions what makes for beauty in women. I don’t really have an answer to that, but I know that it has something to do with an acceptance of one’s form, being within a community of women, and living in, rather than fighting against, your body.” I think she hit the nail right on the head, and so many women struggle with body image issues today, so I felt it was so crucial to include her work in my blog. 
Sources: 
http://firstbookprizephoto.com/jennette-williams-2008/
http://jennettewilliamsphotography.com/about/

















No comments:

Post a Comment